Wednesday 31 January 2007

Mon 29/01/07 - NIGHTMARE

It's long and it's detailed but it needs to be to get the seriousness of what happened over.

Last night we went to our local Bracknell Ski slope with Ellie and Francis (Josh's bro and sis - Josh not skiing because of his shoulder injury) for their freestyle night. Everything as normal, wolf down some tea, cram in homework, grab skis, helmets, etc, etc. Out the door, oh damm, back inside for some drinks and a snack. Ready? Yes - lets go.

Drive manicly, but as usual 10-15 minutes late, rush in, pay (yes "pay'!!), get kitted up and off they go.

Evening ticking along nicely, chatting to others, chewing the cud and glance up with another Dad to see my son. Francis is straight lining and hurtling from the top of the slope to the biggest jump on the slope that night. "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shit" says Dave next to me and I, almost in unison. A split second later he hits the jump, way over speed and leaning so far back he's almost on lying on the back of his skis. He launches and I mean proper launches vertically into the sky, easily 15ft high, and he's still lying way too far back. He lands with a thump literally straight onto his back and before he's stopped sliding I'm alongside him. Thank God he's conscious - his lid stopped him being knocked out or suffering a head injury but what about the rest of him? He's in absolute agony, he's knocked ALL the air out of his lungs and can't draw his breath. "OH MY GOD" I'm saying to myself again and again as I try to cradle him and stop him moving in case he's really, properly damaged himself. I can't speak I'm so scared, I can't see because I've got tears in my eyes because of the pain he's in. I gently feel his arms and legs and keep asking him "where does it hurt" but he still can't speak because he's got nothing in his lungs and because of the pain he's in. I feel his back and feel only his soft skin; "where's his ******** back protector" I'm saying to myself feeling even more guilty because I haven't checked him; he's only seven - it's my job - I've always insisted no protection = no ski but as usual I've relaxed over time. Why, why and why?

Alongside me comes a slope medical officer and I notice ALL the other freestylers are around us and have conned off the slope and again I'm touched how they all look out for one another. The medic guy interrupts me, he looks like a spotty teenager (and NO offence is meant to the poor lad) who's done a basic first aid course. He asks "do you want some ice". DO I WANT SOME CHUFFING ICE. Francis could have broken bones, ribs or damaged his internal organs or far worse and far more bloody frightening he could have a serious spinal injury. Jesus Wept! Ice??

I calm Francis down yet he's still got difficulty breathing but as best I can, I figure out he hasn't broken anything and it's safe to carry him down. He still can't breathe easily and he's still in pain. Even though it's his back he landed on can the force of it caused rib damage? Or does he have some internal bleeding? "Ellie get changed and lets run him up to the local minor injury A&E". Off we go and again I'm touched by the amount of people who rally round to help lift gear to the car or offer to take Ellie home, etc, etc. The minor injuries are ace; they quickly see he's in pain and struggling with his breathing so they give him an immediate assessment. Go to the main hospital is the advice and quickly; "he's in pain and there is some spinal tenderness". Have you ever been REALLY, REALLY frightened for your kids? I have, many times (with 5 its inevitable and I've had lots of sessions in lots of A&E's) but at that moment I thought my whole world was about to cave in.

Off to A&E at the delightful Wexham Park, Slough and his breathing and pain has eased. He's seen pretty quickly and the Doc is tip-top; young, kind, caring and very gentle with my son. After a battery of tests he's pronounced fine and Francis himself, although battered and bruised is also smiling. THANK GOD ALMIGHTY. As we're leaving I ask Ellie "did you have your protector on" and no prizes for guessing her answer.

The Doc sees us out but holds me back and quietly says to me; "with the height and speed you've explained and his landing position Francis is very, very lucky". He's done some skiing in his time and says to me "do you know, unofficially we (i.e. Docs!) reckon 90% or more of skiing back injuries can be avoided by wearing a correctly sized and fitted back protector". Sobering words indeed......................

Back to my old mantra "I can't pack and sort everything for you guys but if we arrive anywhere with no protection you don't ride. END OF STORY".

You could say and you would be entitled to say "what a crap Dad not checking his protection" and you would be right and you could also say "what a crap Dad letting his son on the slope on an unsupervised freestyle night with the big boys" and again you would be right. In my defence we go 2-3 times a week and I let my guard down over checking protection, and normally he's a brave lad but also cautious on the jumps. The reason I've written the above and I hope it is forwarded onto you (whether I know you or you know me is immaterial) is whether you are a rider yourself or the owner of a rider there should be NO IFS AND NO BUTS. Freestyle, freeski, park, whatever you want to call it. Don't ride without a lid and a back protector. None of the above is meant to frighten you or put you off - Skiing and boarding are a great sport and a brilliant lifestyle choice but don't risk ruining your chances of doing it.

No comments: